Wednesday, February 26, 2020

GIVING THINGS UP

GIVING THINGS UP 

It's Ash Wednesday, or as I like to call it, the day that you accidentally keep telling people that they have a little smudge of dirt on their forehead before you realize it's a religious thang.  I grew up in a catholic house. I went to catholic school for the majority of my up bringing. I was an alter server in my youth - and yes, I'm sure you have many questions about priest. So ash wednesday and the whole act of Lent in itself is not a foreign concept.

I mean, for you non religious types, you know it's lent by one simple indication - the filet o' fish is on sale at all the fast food joints. They sure love playing to the audience on that shit. As if fuckers are even keeping Catholic kosher. You know they're all geared up to get those two tacos de asada and al pastor on friday night with the rest of us. There's a complete looking the other way to the whole thing.

Also, why give up meat, I mean. what the fuck, did Jesus just want to have the fishermen get the hook up since they had low sales or something.  Yo, Jesus, people ain't buying our fish, can you do something like tell them they're not allowed to eat that shit because, like, it's a sin. I mean, everything is a sin, but this one is even more so because of your desert walking.

As for me. I haven't given shit up in a long time. I don't see the point, but if I will give something up, I guess the route I will go is that I'm giving up self doubt. I'm giving up the things that drag me down.

I guess lent was suppose to be some sort of "prove yourself" and I never really got it. Give up something that matters to you to show your faith. But most of the time it's like, fools give up sugar or soda. Then on top of that you don't eat on Friday, which goes back to the fast food craze that they should offer a really bad fish sandwich that was frozen in order to appeal to those religious types.


Anyhow, going 30 days without candy isn't going to get you that front of the line VIP access to the pearly gates. At least that's what I'm guessing, especially since that place doesn't exist. So, like, enjoy your hamburgers. I bet the fish sandwiches aren't all that much better anyway and it's an empty gesture at best. Come on, just remember, it's more for your own mental mind frame....

The true testament of growing up Catholic is if you can endure the amount of pressure put on you to be a goddamn priest by the Church workers when you're age 16-21. It's goddamn worse than army recruitment. But that's a whole other story I'd probably have to get myself in the right mind space to talk about.

Back to giving shit up, I guess it's just an offering, but like I mentioned candy or soda or not eating a steak on Friday seems pretty petty in terms of offerings to this vengeful being in the sky. May I offer that we actually use the ashes of the non-believers for the head mark? It's just a suggestion.






No comments: