Monday, April 25, 2011

Your iPhone Has Become Skynet

In the film the Terminators the online computer system Skynet became self-aware on April 19th, 2011. It then started a war with humans on April 21st starting the war of the machines.

Seems like pure science fiction, right? Well just look at what your iPhone is doing without you even knowing it.
While Apple Inc. has yet to comment on a new study that found its iPhones store data on users' locations, the company has previously revealed to lawmakers that it does collect such information.

Apple automatically transmits to itself location information about users of its smartphones, according to a letter the company sent to U.S. Reps. Edward Markey (D-Mass.) and Joe Barton (R-Texas) last year.

The letter, which is publicly available on Rep. Markey's website, became newsworthy this week in light of findings from two researchers who uncovered a file on iPhones that keeps a record of where the phone has been and when it was there. The file is unencrypted and stored by default

The discovery of this location file touched off a furor among iPhone owners who could see for the first time a trove of location data about themselves stored on their phones. The researchers, Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden, said they had no evidence that the file was being transmitted to Apple.

Kind of makes me glad I'm not an iPhone user. Wait, no. That's not true. I actually want to be one of those pretentious assholes who has a smart phone. You know the type, the ones that destroy any ability and skill that bar trivia once had.

But I can't. Well, I guess it's more that I don't want to. At least not right now that Verizon is still stuck on the 4G version. I'm waiting for that 5G to come out. Then I don't care who knows what boring activity or location I'm sitting in. I mean, I really don't give a shit about it. Oh no! Some survey place knows I'm at some restaurant.

No comments: