Monday, September 24, 2018

OLD MAN YELLS AT NEW GMAIL LAYOUT

OLD MAN YELLS AT NEW GMAIL LAYOUT

I have to say, the old gmail was nothing but a simple grid and you clicked on boxes and handled your shit. It was fucking good and simple in terms of how you dealt with your email. Google pushed out a new one that is completely filled with bubbles and all this bullshit. I have to wonder if this is some sort of web 2.0 sort of nonsense cause the last thing I want when it comes to checking something as simple as my fucking email is bubbles, circles or any other sort of polygon that has a vertex other than 90 degrees.

This is why I am still using blogger. I like old shit that doesn't change. Not even a new code on here to break the way things look and make it updated for some unknown reason, as if updating something makes it better. I haven't updated half of the apps I have running on my phone and they work just as fine. Updating shit is just a tool the devil uses to get you, I say.

Worse of all, every time I try to delete an email, it now sort of stalls and freezes. As if my old ass laptop just can't handle this new world of high tech updates. I just wonder if one day the shape of cans will change and you'll have to find a new can opener and we'll all just starve to death because fuck you change.  But seriously, the new update on Gmail is goddamn awful in every possible way for no reason other than to stay on the cutting edge of looking like it is fancy or some shit.

I constantly think that instead of changing things, companies should just keep them the same and give people far more time and more of a chance to figure out how to actually use them. Look at Microsoft Office, what the hell was wrong with everything being in the old drop down menu style? Nothing! Having a new menu layout and more shit as icons doesn't make it easier to use, you just have to learn things are in one location vs another now.

Take for example the new apple podcast app on the iPhone, it's a complete piece of shit and functions far worse in every possible way compared to the older version. it's as if these companies web developers realize that it has been X amount of months since they fucked with something pointlessly and rush to get some newer uglier shit out there in the event that their boss might start asking why they are paying these workers.

In the end it just substitutes one inconvenience for a new inconvenience. For example the whole notion of replacing rabbit ear TV antennas with digital signals, you won't worry about bad reception, but you'll have to start worrying about buffering and glitches. The tools change, but in the whole scheme of things, the convenience to inconvenience ratio just stays the exact same.

Then again, I could have just clicked the little gear to open the settings and change it back to the old Gmail layout at any moment, but then I wouldn't have written this long ass old man style rant, now would I?

No comments: