Monday, January 28, 2019

THAT ONE TIME I BEAT RESIDENT EVIL 2 IN A COUPLE OF HOURS

THAT ONE TIME I BEAT RESIDENT EVIL 2 IN A COUPLE OF HOURS

Okay, this one is more for me and what will I assume be my total lack of memory in another 20 years. But look, this is a fun story. Well, I dunno if fun is the term for it. I mean, it was in High School and I was at a buddies place where one was playing star craft, the other was watching WW2 shows on the History channel and that left me with a playstation to use but no memory card to actually save anything on to.

In this event, Resident Evil 2 had just come out and well, I was a huge fan of that series. It had everything I grew up loving. Zombies have, and until they really beat them to the ground over the last decade, been my favorite "monster" of the horror scene. I always found them fascinated because, well I feel like I can just utterly be fucked in most situations of other monsters. How are you going to beat a dracula or frankenstein's monster? You're fucked in a creature of a black lagoon comes after your ass. Just face it, they're all better apex predators that question our place in the grand scheme of things.

Zombies on the other hand - I know I can not only handle that to some degree in living in a world that has gone totally mad, but that I have a chance with still enough risk to reward in it all. I mean, it's the one scenario that will still give me a bit of a challenge but that I will more likely be able to handle on my own.

So the franchise of the video games, at least the earlier ones where it was about zombies and loosely touched on the whole UMBRELLA company conspiracy, those were totally my jam. I would play the first one a lot and even the second. On this night I figured that I would just play enough to get my kick while the other buddies were doing their thing and even though I didn't have a memory card to save any of the progress, it would be just for fun.

Sure enough, I found myself completing my best run time in the game, not only that, I was beating the shit out of it and not getting touched. I was in the literal zone for it all. This was my best speed, the most kills. Holy shit, I was unstoppable in it and I just don't know how to explain it. The stars alligned and it was absolutely amazing.... but without a memory card, what the fuck was I to do. I couldn't save more work!

THE HORROR! THE HORROR!

This was pain. I couldn't save the progress to highlight the best run I ever had in the game, which would have unlocked a lot more stuff in the flipside of the game and I was without the key item that I needed.  So all I have is the memory of it and two eye witnesses that I beat it without a single time dying and on the hardest mode. Either at that point I just knew all that there was to know about the game, or maybe I'm just that good.. yeah, okay, I played the game a lot.

No comments: