Sunday, October 25, 2009

Keeping An Open Ear For A New Moon

Keeping An Open Ear For A New Moon

How embarrassing this must be. I feel like a republican getting caught in the restroom with another women.. or even worse, another man, shortly after making a speech about the sanctity of marriage. It's like I just got caught doing some double standard I would normally be rebelling against or talking so much shit about.

You see, you caught me. Or more to the point, I'm just fessing up to this. I listened to the soundtrack to the new Twilight movie, New Moon. But there's a pretty good reason why. After the album dropped both in record stores last week as well as its fair share of panties, I'm sure, I was told that I should take a listen to this compilation.



At first I chuckled, nay, laughed in the persons instant messengers virtual face. My disgust for this franchise said no, but my taste in music says yes. That factoed with the realization that I had nothing else to download lead me down the road to where I am now writing this. To my surprise, it's a really surprisingly good soundtrack. I mean, take a look at the list of artist on this thing;

1. Death Cab For Cutie - Meet Me On The Equinox 3:44
2. Band Of Skulls - Friends 3:09
3. Thom Yorke - Hearing Damage 5:04
4. Lykke Li - Possibility 5:06
5. The Killers - A White Demon Love Song 3:34
6. Anya Marina - Satellite Heart 3:33
7. Muse - I Belong To You (New Moon Remix) 3:12
8. Bon Iver & St. Vincent - Roslyn 4:49
9. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Done All Wrong 2:49
10.Hurricane Bells - Monsters 3:16
11.Sea Wolf - The Violet Hour 3:32
12.OK Go - Shooting The Moon 3:18
13.Grizzly Bear - Slow Life 4:21
14.Editors - No Sound But The Wind 3:48
15.Alexandre Desplat - New Moon (The Meadow) 4:09

For such a mainstream soundtrack to a pile of dog shit that is the Twilight franchise, they sure got themselves a pretty extensive list of Indie bands that would make any hipster and scenster wet themselves. I have to say it again, that's a large amount of Indie credibility that they have going on one disc. It's so sharp that you should watch your wrist as it could cut them.. and not just for show!

How could you not get down with your emo self with stuff like “Possibility” sung by the Swedish indie artist Lykke Li on the cd? Looking into the way the disc came to be should have been a good justification as to why it carries the sound style it does. It's said that the soundtrack selection reflects the film's cracked out teenbopper love stories direction that this new Twilight film will carry.

The artist and songs were chosen to portray that aloneness. And really, when you're all the way up in the sticks areas of Washington state, aloneness is really all you have going for yourself. I should know. I was a simple couple of hours away from the little shit hole area that this franchise takes place and from what I hear, it's become the tween destination. I say screw it, just go to Seattle and enjoy the delicious foods and leave it at that.

Now, there's been some really good soundtracks this past year. I loved Away We Go for the way it set up the movie's mood and just how it progressed the story. 500 Days Of Summer was another one that, well, needs no explanation as I've already written at least two blogs about it. So to put up a soundtrack from the Twilight series next to those is a bit crazy. But it's absolutely true.

I couldn't care any less about this movie franchise. I saw the first one in Rifftrax form, so know I only watched it so I can berate and make fun of how utterly awful it was. I mean, I struggled with myself. Do I admit that I enjoy this soundtrack or do I delete all the artists who contributed to this from my computer? Until I heard it all, I didn't know for a second. The end result is that I have no interest in the film and will more than likely never watch it unless really drunk or it's being mocked. The soundtrack, though, is really good.

No comments: