Thursday, August 16, 2018

BLOOD RED SKY

BLOOD RED SKY

As per the usual, California is burning right now. The Holy Fire is consuming a large part of Orange County. I would hate to imagine the air quality currently if you're visiting Disneyland. Anyhow, the sky is now filled with as crappy of air quality as you can find. You will notice that from the amount of hacking of your lungs you are doing. I know I have woken up with stuffed nose full of gunk coming from these smoked filled mushroom clouds high above, making it so that the sun's light that transfers through it just makes everything look like a red hue. 

I am a fire sign. I don't really put much of any weight into astrological nonsense. I don't think Mercury in Gatorade does much of any good or any bad for anyone. I don't think because the moon is closer or further away that it effects your mood. You just want something to blame for your lack of self control.

Anyhow, aside from being a fire sign, I have always been touched by the thing that flickers in the dark and provides a dim light. I loved beach bonfires. Load up the truck with a huge pile of wood and just light up the night sky. It's a place for story telling and for just fending off the darkness that would have been scary as fuck to our ancestors... you know, the ones who didn't have snap of your finger sort of lighting.

Most of all, if there was a wild fire going and it was night time, I would find myself jumping in the car and getting as close to it as possible to watch the sort of chaos in the flame. I mean, none of this Game of Thrones stuff where the lord of the light is telling me the future bullshit. But I would look upon it with some sort of wonder and awe.

It was a strange feeling. I would feel terrible for the loss of land, life or worse that a fire caused. I'm not admitting I'm some arsonist, because I don't like to start them or anything like that. There's no imaginary friend telling me to burn things or anything like that, but man, there's something so naturally powerful as some raging fire. I don't know how to exactly explain it.

I guess there's also something very beautiful in the chaos that comes with it. You see dark nights lit up with this sort of orange and red flicker dancing to the beat of its own heat. It was something that just struck a chord with me. I dunno. I guess this isn't the most interesting post. But it's just a reflection on the destruction this fire is causing and that there can be some beauty in the most ugly of things.

No comments: