Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Precious Moment In Our Nations History

A Precious Moment In Our Nations History

I know Presidents day was a couple of days ago, but I just want to look back at what we consider our nations most evil president. Nixon. And I would like to share with you what I consider a precious moment in our nations history.
WASHINGTON, May 9 President Nixon left the White House shortly before dawn this morning, drove to the Lincoln Memorial and spent an hour chatting with young people who had come to protest his war policies

I don't have the New York Times Archives, nor would I really ever want instant access to that shit, so that's all I can bring up now.



But doesn't this seem like a remarkable thing for a president to do? For all of Nixon's faults, his self-pity and his arrogance, I think it's safe to say that unlike the blissful ignorance of Reagan and Bush, he wrestled with a turbulent conscience.

Who can imagine a current President doing this? Having the balls to go down to a Washington memorial at 4 am and listen to the concerns of America's youth? It's easy to despair over what's happening to the US at the moment, but when I look back at something like this it reminds me that American democracy means something.

And maybe that perhaps no-one is beyond redemption.

I mean, this wasn't some sort of presidential photo op. This would be a tremendous criticism were there actually any photographs of this event.



In retrospect of all this, I think that I'd rather have Nixon be President-for-life than have any or all of the ensuing administrations. Hell, if having Nixon in office would have precluded Reagan from being president, that alone is worth it. Nixon hated Reagan and probably would have had him assassinated.

For being such an evil rat, Nixon was trying to convince congress to pass Universal Health Care long before Watergate. In fact, if Watergate never happened, Nixon would probably be in the top 5 of the greatest presidents and he would have won the election anyway if he didn't take part of watergate. What an error on his part.

He pushed forward in instituting affirmative action, pushing forward desegregation, and setting up OSHA.

No comments: