Monday, August 17, 2009

Let's Hug It Out

Let's Hug It Out

I'm not much of a fan of hugs. I mean, I'll give them and receive them. But to me it's always a little awkward. I never know which way to go in for the hug nor do I ever really know what to do with my hands when they're wrapped around the person. Do I pat them on the back? Do I place them down? God damn, too much pressure! Well, perhaps the school system works to protect my interest.. You see, the Hug lyfe style may be up for grabs
NEW YORK
May 30 (UPI) -- Hugging among U.S. teenagers has become so prevalent some schools say they've banned the embrace or imposed limits on how long they last.

"Touching and physical contact is very dangerous territory," said Noreen Hajinlian, principal of George G. White School, a junior high school in Hillsdale, N.J., which banned hugging. "It wasn't a greeting. It was happening all day."

Hajinlian's school is among those from New Jersey to Bend, Ore., that have clamped down on hugging, The New York Times reported Saturday.

Ritual hugging has become so popular that students feel pressured to partake, said Gabrielle Brown, a freshman at Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School in New York.

"If somebody were to not hug someone, to never hug anybody, people might be just a little wary of them and think they are weird or peculiar," Brown said.

The phenomenon reflects how physical boundaries have changed, said Amy Best, a sociologist at George Mason University.

"We display bodies more readily, there are fewer rules governing body touch and a lot more permissible access to other people's bodies," Best said.
Well, I'm glad this was nipped in the bud early. Can't let those kids thinking that touching is a-ok. What next, do they think they can be seen dancing together? What limits will these kids stop at? Is this just a case of a principal projecting her social phobias on the school populace or did this school actually build up some sort of strange system where people were literally hugging all of the time? Maybe the kids were dry humping and saying "It's just a hug"? I don't know. Can anybody from the area shine some light on this?

It is also possible that this story was thought up by someone just to try to hassle the principal by having tons of outraged internet people call her office demanding to know why she hates hugs. Because that's the only logical conclusion I can come up with to this. That we're actively trying to completely stunt this generation's social growth in any way possible. I know, I know. Every generation thinks the next one is the worst, but we didn't ban hugging in my school. Between this "no touching ever" shit, banning games, and zero tolerance, this generations kids are going to be quite a sight in the near future



I suppose they are trying to protect the children, right? I know a couple of hugsluts. They're all full of HTD's. We should warn kids of those because once you hug someone, you have to be aware of what you can get from them. Some HTD's can't be cured and will be with you forever.

It's odd because I've always seen teenagers hugging as a greeting/parting thing. What sort of person is afraid to hug a friend? I can understand how it could be annoying after a while if it's something you do every time you see someone or say goodbye. But if you're approached to get a hug, you might as well bite the bullet and run with it. Whenever one person starts going in for the hug another and they're not reciprocating, it's always the first that looks awkward. So don't be a dick, just let the hug go on. You're not going to get aids from it or anything.




I figured this was one of those backward-ass midwest things, unit I read the second paragraph. Come on NJ, we're better than that. You old fogies are all just jealous seeing all the young ones getting action without any help from little blue pills. I mean, sometimes hugging does cause a stiff salute, especially among sexually awkward, inexperienced teens. What next, will you old folks ban fist-pumping?

Making hugging a taboo only makes hungging more popular. Soon, kids are going to be having unsuprervised late night hugging parties. I think parents should educate their children on hugs so that they can do it resonsibly. Just like how they created DARE for drugs.



In my home, I learned about hugging early on. Of course none of us were hugging each other, but I grew up seeing how my sisters hugged their boyfriends, how mom and dad hugged each other and I guess it sort of took the mystique out of it. Not to say I didn't hug a couple of people that I regretted or hugged a couple of folks I didn't care about, but I think it's a healthier way to raise kids in the long run.


Where are the parents in all this? They're the ones that need to be teaching their children about responsible hugging. We can't leave it up to the schools as they opt to teach just not hugging at all! Kids will be kids. They're going to hug it out. If they're not taught how to safely hug one another, then we'll have a rise in unwanted friendships.



I went to a catholic school. So I'm surprised they didn't follow this and ban all forms of PDA at our school when I was younger. I guess it wouldn't have mattered much to me anyway as I had no ladyfriend to hug. They didn't even do much about hand holding. At some point even high-5's were also suspect. But I think it got under the radar due to the brevity of it.

You have to wonder what parents will try to ban next? I mean, maybe the high five is the next thing on the list. I would be pretty strange to see a ban on high fives
Deer Park Primary lollipop man slapped with high-five ban

A COUNCIL has defended its decision to ban a Deer Park North school crossing supervisor from high-fiving students and parents.

Lollipop man Charlie Cremona has welcomed the children of Deer Park North Primary School in Melbourne’s west for the past 18 years.

After standing in the sun, rain and wind twice daily for all those years, he was stunned when told recently he must stop “high-fiving” students and parents on his Hovell St crossing.

But Brimbank city development general manager Peter Collina said the ban was in response to a parent’s complaint about “a number of concerns, including that of physical contact with the children”.
...Well then. I guess they got that number for the high-5's. No more up highs or down lows. But you know what, I have to laugh at this. Pfft! These people think too small. Banning hugging and high fives won't do half the psychological damage of Forbidding eye contact and speaking! Oh wait, this Pinsacola Christian College beat me to it

PCC also has strict policies regarding mixed-gender interaction. Physical contact between members of the opposite sex is not permitted under any circumstance. Written permission of the dean’s office must be procured for all off-campus meetings between members of the opposite sex. In addition, all mixed-gender meetings (on and off-campus), must have a PCC chaperone present.[8] Most stairwells and elevators on campus are segregated by gender. In the absence of being able to have physical contact, a fad has developed among dating students on campus where couples stare deeply into each other’s eyes. This practice by students is variously called "eye kissing", or "optical intercourse" and is jokingly called "making eye babies".[8] This activity however is discouraged by the administration.

Now God is just fucking with me. I give up. I can't think of anything that some religious nuts haven't already come up with to ban because they want to think of the children. Or more true they want to stop others from experiencing life. The most annoying aspect of all this is that it's the baby boomers that are preventing this shit. What a lot of double standard assholes. Weren't you the fuckers who got high off anything and listened to music in your hippie state? Now you want to stop all forms of connection between people? Talk about the huge balls on these fuckers.

No comments: