Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Picture That Needs 1000 Words: VI Freeeeeeedom

A Picture That Needs 1000 Words: VI Freeeeeeedom



In 1997, a statue of “William Wallace” was placed in the car park of the Wallace Monument. The statue however appeared not to resemble the historic face of Wallace; rather it seemed to be modeled after Mel Gibson's appearance as Wallace in the film Braveheart. Wallace’s shield even reads the word ‘Braveheart’ as can be seen on the image on the right.

The Scottish folk found this disturbing and they pushed for the reombal of the statue because it was tacty and unauthentic. They didn't take it down and as a result of that, the statue was constantly vandalized. So they went ahead and fenced it off. Odd since it bares the words Freedom on it. It was eventually removed and offered up to Donald Trump's Organization free of charge as "an ideal centerpiece at the big hotel Trump is going to be building".

Yeeaaaaaah. That sounds likea fitting place for a Freedom statue, in a place that is entirely not free. At best this was done because the council was embarassed by their screw up on making a statue look like Mel Gibson. Seriously, who would ever think it would be a good idea for the monument to basically be a portrait of Mel Gibson?

You want to see a real statue of William Wallace? Here you go, Gibson-free this time.


I cannot be a traitor, for I owe him no allegiance. He is not my Sovereign; he never received my homage; and whilst life is in this persecuted body, he never shall receive it. To the other points where of I am accused, I freely confess them all. As Governor of my country I have been an enemy to its enemies; I have slain the English; I have mortally opposed the English King; I have stormed and taken the towns and castles, which he unjustly claimed as his own. If I or my soldiers have plundered or done injury to the houses or ministers of religion, I repent me of my sin; but it is not of Edward of England I shall ask pardon.
Oh and that statue points at His Majesty's Theatre, named after the then-current king, Edward VII.

No comments: