Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Mississippi Is Backwards As Fuck

Mississippi Is Backwards As Fuck

And yet they managed to pull out of this voting process and not ultimately fuck up woman's rights as it seems that Mississippi's Personhood Amendment Fails At Polls
The so-called "personhood" initiative was rejected by more than 55 percent of voters, falling far short of the threshold needed for it to be enacted. If it had passed, it was virtually assured of drawing legal challenges because it conflicts with the Supreme Court's 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that established a legal right to abortion. Supporters of the initiative wanted to provoke a lawsuit to challenge the landmark ruling.
I have to say, that while it was shot down, 55% is awfully close. But perhaps I don't need to remind anyone that it's still Mississippi.
Mississippi already has tough abortion regulations and only one clinic where the procedures are performed, making it a fitting venue for a national movement to get abortion bans into state constitutions.
Could it be. Have we've actually seen a resolution so dumb that not even southerners could stomach passing it? My goodness, that's something else entirely. Or perhaps it's just that by doing this they would be making themselves uncomfortable about potentially making blacks count as people if it's set at life beginning at fertilization.

Over all, I'm just confused as I can't tell if this is actually progress or not. Well, at least it isn't regress. Over all, the place is a hot pocket of racism and awkward conversations.

I only spent a couple of hours in Mississippi on a road trip from Florida back to Los Angeles. In my time there some backwards ass hick offered to take a picture of me next to the Mississippi sign and I later realized the moron couldn't work the camera and it came out completely blurry.

At least I take comfort in knowing that my few hour experience of the locals was actually a proper representation of what it seems everyone there is like and I'm thankful I spent the majority of my time there attempting to escape it.

On a final note, may I suggest that you do not search for the hashtag #YesOn26 on twitter unless you want more justified reasons to kill, or at least punch someone unknown reasons

No comments: