Friday, July 20, 2012

Batman... Risen?

Batman.... Risen?

It's really tragic... Well, I'm not talking about how much I really don't care for Nolan's rendition of Batman. I mean, he treats us as smart viewers with films like Momento and for Batman he has to dumb it down, or at least make it so easy? Pfft!

No, I'm not talking about that, I'm referring to the fact that the midnight screening of the newest Batman movie in Denver, Colorado had violence involved with it as a gun man went crazy hurting dozen others.

Police in Denver, Colorado, have confirmed that 14 people have been murdered in a shooting spree at the premiere of Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises.

Local reporter Justin Jones said the gunman was wearing body armour and a gas mask.

"The attacker shot a baby at point blank range," he said.

Another eyewitness, James Cameron, said the baby girl was shot in the back.

Aurora Police chief Dan Oates said one suspected gunman had been taken into custody - and police were not looking for a second suspect at this stage.

"One of our highest priorities will be dealing with the famlilies of the victims," he said.

"Ten people died in the theatre and four died in hosital as a result of their injuries."

Witness Hayden Miller told KUSA-TV that he was inside Theatre 16 in a suburb of Denver when he heard several shots.

"Like little explosions going on and shortly after that we heard people screaming," he told the station.

Hayden said at first he thought it was part of a louder movie next door. But then he saw "people hunched over leaving theatre".

Brenda Stuart, of 850 KOA Radio, said the victims were shot dead but there may have also been an explosion. It is reported that many of the victims are children.

She said police are looking for a second explosive device at the Centruy 16 movie theatre in Aurora Mall.

As many as 50 people are believed to have been injured in the attack.


Here's an eye witness account from reddit.

Boyfriend and I have evacuated safe and sound. The shooting began during a gunfight scene in the movie, and at first, we thought it was special effects when smoke rose up. When shots happened again and people began to run, we thought something was up. A guy ran in and shouted there was a gunman in the building, and the alarms to emergency evacuate started to go off.

I now know what tear gas feels like. I've never had to 'get down' with a police officer screaming at us. This is the most fucked up night of my short life. I need an army of kitten photos stat.

http://whotalking.com/Century+16

[Edit] Thank you for the well wishes everyone. Heart is still racing, especially reading up on it still. Apparently, not long after we evacuated the premises, an explosion went off, and the death toll has risen to 12, with 20 more injured: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/365147/20120720/aurora-dark-knight-rises-batman-colorado-shooting.htm

[Edit 2] This blew up really quickly. While this is not the way that I would have liked to make it to the front page, I'm happy that reddit has reacted in such a way to keep everyone, including myself, up to date. I'm trying to read all comments, so if I accidentally skip over yours, in advance, I apologize.

So last night at midnight, 14 people were just like you. Sitting comfortably waiting to see the last Batman in Nolan's rendition of the franchise and then suddenly they were gunned down.

Makes you wonder, don't it?



Now that we talked about that tragedy, can we move on to the next piece of tragedy -- Bane. I mean, let's be honest, would you look at that awful mouth piece.



Bane's mouth thingy looks like a mechanical goatse. Okay, more to the point it looks fucking stupid. I seriously don't have any idea what look they were going for with it. Maybe complicated orthodontia? I dunno. As the leader of the prole insurgency, Bane flaunts ill-cared-for teeth in the faces of the rich and powerful.

Yeah, I get that it's administering an anesthetic, then again, why would you need an anesthetic after watching a 3 hour Batman movie? I can't watch Begins without automatically falling asleep at some point. I'm still amazed that anyone needed Batman's origin to be explained yet again.

It's as if Nolan doesn't trust the intelligence of his audience. He has to over-explain a great many things in an unnatural manner.

Look, don't get me wrong, they're great films... but they're not Batman films. I really wish that a Batman film had more sequences of Batman actually, you know, being Batman. While this ties things up nicely, I'm going to be fine and actually look forward to seeing someone else's take on the franchise now that he's gone.

I mean, just look at the themes of the films and tell me if this sound about right?
Batman Begins: Gotham can be saved
The Dark Knight: The citizens will save the soul of Gotham.
The Dark Knight Rises: The only people who can save Gotham are the police and two people in costumes.

Then you get into Joseph Gordon-leviitt's character and it doesn't take a detective to figure out who he is in the "Realistic" Nolan Batman universe. The moment he started mentioning being in an orphanage, let alone busting out the Tim Drake-ism in knowing who Bruce was, it was just a matter of shaking my head at all of it.

No comments: