Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 Fucking Sucked

2014 Fucking Sucked

Last year around this time I was telling myself that 2014 would be better. It sure as hell couldn't have been as bad as 2013 was. Man, I have to give it up to 2014, cause you showed me how fucking wrong I was. But then again, I didn't need you to show me, it's clear that social media like Facebook can just rub that in my face with ease. Much like how they rubbed it into everyone else's face that they were having a bad year.

Last week, the moment after Christmas ended, Facebook was already going full steam in wrapping this year up with the bombarding of "This is your year" post that you could annoy the fuck out of your friends with by posting on your wall.

What this algorithm was drawing off was looking back at your time line and picking out the most LIKED pieces in your feed and plumping them down all on one handy palm full of sand to toss into the eyes of yourself and your friends alike. What Facebook didn't factor in was that not everything that you post that is liked is something that is positive.



For many, that first few post in January 2014 could have been one of heartbreak. Say for example that you broke up with that cheating significant other and many of your friends, like most friends would do, liked that post because you were getting out of an abusive relationship. While that was a great moment, you may not be fully healed from those wounds just yet.

In my case, Facebook plopped down that the first majorily liked post I made of the new year was when I posted that my father had passed away. Yeeeeah, that was pretty much all it took to realize that this past year wasn't a great one for me.



And really, it was shit on a shit sandwich covered with shit sauce. I had a series of family situations from the fallout of my father passing that I'm still not dug out from under on. Dealing with his finances and the time shares he left behind - mind you, please do not ever ever EVER buy a time share. It's like having sex with a hooker. Sure, it'll be a wild fun once, but that shit will leave a nasty STD with you that not even death itself can remove.

This year I also dealt with burning of bridges with family. From my Grandfather who was abusing my mother financially off an agreement that my father made... and by all accounts should have died with him, to having to evict my sister from living in my building and the fallout of having to deal with her and her crazy boyfriend. Mind you, he did slash my tire... this was after trying to be nice and NOT letting the cops get involved when they trashed the apartment in a domestic dispute.

Back tracking to the death of my father... yeah, the can of worms that opened up after his death is something I didn't fully expect. I knew the man had secrets, but the extent of them... Jesus, I don't think I was prepared for. The balls on the man...

But yeah, it's been a very very rough year for me. To the point that I should be busting out some Arya Stark laughter at how fucked up it has been.




Sure, I had a couple of fun vacations this year. From going to the South and enjoying San Fransisco, but those were just brief moments of an otherwise bad year that still has its claws in the things that I do. Those enjoyable moments seem to be too few and far between. And yet every year I tell myself that the next year will be better. That it'll be different. That life won't find a way to completely fuck me over...

After the year I have had, I'm not prepared to tell myself that anymore and just roll with the punches. Those ups and those downs... and some more of those downs. I mean, there's a lot of downs, I tell you. So hey, I guess there's some reason to just look forward to tomorrow. It signifies that 2014 is dead and can no longer hurt me.

Or perhaps it can. Who the fuck knows. 

1 comment:

Team O'Connor said...

Thanks for the advice on the time share. I was kind of considering it. Sorry about your dad.