Wednesday, February 3, 2010

And The Oscar Nomination Goes To....

And The Oscar Nomination Goes To....

So there I was awake at the butt crack of dawn getting ready for work and the Oscar nominations pop up. Yup yup. Not only that but Anne Hathaway is announcing them. I have to admit I have a bit of a crush on her. I mean, who wouldn't? So anyway, waking up to that sight wasn't half bad, if I do say so myself.



Moving on now, the Oscar nominations are really something to talk about.. sure, they're not as big as the actual Oscar telecast or anything, but it's a lot more interesting than hearing about the Grammy's and let's face it, the golden globes are just the mini version of it. So what are they? If you haven't found them in the many other media outlets that are going to be beating this into the ground, here you go along with my predictions and thoughts.


Best Picture
Avatar
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

Wow, there's some really interesting surprises mixed in there. That's a pretty decent list, nothing overtly out of place other than The Blind Side. Which I'm not sure how the fuck it got in there. Yeah, give Sandra a best actress nod, if you want. But the Blind Side isn't anything that isn't done weekly on Friday Night Lights weekly, only done a lot better.

Also it's pretty cool to see District 9 get some love. Peter Jackson must be thrilled since he got some luke warm reaction to Lovely Bones and he really supported Neil Blompkamp in making that film when everyone gave up on it. Not to mention that it's a first-time director getting a Best Picture nomination at the Oscars. That's really awesome. As awesome as seeing Sci-fi come back to the Oscars.

But this one is going to The Hurt Locker. You just have to remember the political landscape of the Oscar voters and let's face it, it's a really interesting and compelling film.



Actress, Supporting
Penelope Cruz, Nine
Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air
Maggie Gyllenhaal, Crazy Heart
Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air
Mo’Nique, Precious

This one is pretty simple. Precious is one of those movies that has Oscar written all over it. Urban struggle

Actor, Supporting
Matt Damon, Invictus
Woody Harrelson, The Messenger
Christopher Plummer, The Last Station
Stanley Tucci, The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

I really didn't find this one compelling. It'll got to Christoph just for the sake that he's the best option there.



Actress
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
Helen Mirren, The Last Station
Carey Mulligan, An Education
Gabby Sidibe, Precious
Meryl Streep, Julie and Julia

This one is tough. I thought Meryl Streep was amazing as Julia Child. But it could go to Gabby Sidibe cause really, Precious was pretty intense and the general idea that the Blind Side had Sandra Bullock acting... well, like an actress, could give it to her.

Actor
Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
George Clooney, Up in the Air
Colin Firth, An Education
Morgan Freeman, Invictus
Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker

Jeff Bridges could win it next year for Tron 2.0, George Clooney was amazing in Up in the Air and it'll be a real tragedy. He deserves it like no other. Though I have to say I'm really happy for Colin Firth getting a nomination for such a great role. Not to sound a little light in the loafers, but I always do see him as Mr. Darcy, so it's nice to see such a challenging different performance from him instead of the typical role as the modern perfect gentleman.



Directing
James Cameron, Avatar
Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds
Lee Daniels, Precious
Jason Reitman, Up in the Air

It could also go to Quentin Taratino because he deserves it. Maybe not for IB, but he does. Kathryn getting my vote is just to rub it in Cameron's face as it's his ex-wife.

Original Screenplay
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
The Messenger
A Serious Man
Up

I'm giving it to A Serious Man cause I liked it.



Adapted Screenplay
District 9
An Education
In the Loop
Precious
Up in the Air

Again, Precious is going to get it because it's what Oscar does.

Foreign Film
Ajami (Israel)
Secreto Ojos (Argentina)
The Milk of Sorrow (Peru)
Un Prophete (France)
The White Ribbon (Germany)

Like you care why I choose this one. You probably haven't even heard of any of these films.


And I'm reminded of my girlfriend when I see this image.

Animated Film
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Princess and the Frog
Secret of Kells
Up

While I know it won't win, it's so nice to see the Academy ignore the "Nope, Animation has it's own category" rule for once. Now if only they'd actually allow a comedy category sometime in the near future. I really want Up to win Best Score just because the movie's most emotional scenes wouldn't have been half as effective without it.

So there you have it. That's the Oscars in a nut shell.. one day later than it was announced. Yay me for my time delay in getting you valued information! Now you know my picks and you can prove that I know shit about how the folks in the academy vote for anything when the results come out in March.

Enjoy your hump day..

No comments: