Friday, September 11, 2009

It's 9/11, Did You Forget?

It's 9/11, Did You Forget?

Today is 9/11, I hope you didn't forget. It would be really awkward if you actually forgot. I know everyone keeps telling you to Nevar Forget, but sometimes stuff slips your mind, you know. Like that one time when I was at the market and I totally forgot the ice cream and only picked up the Old Rasputin beer. Only when I got home and realized I didn't get the ice cream that I realized I couldn't actually make those bitchin' beer floats that I really wanted. Fuck man. That sucked.

But seriously, you shouldn't forget this date. And really, I wonder how long it will take before people start to really be able to honestly say they forgot what day it is. Perhaps 15 years? I dunno. It's just really going to be so awkward when I'm old and can't remember much sitting in the retirement home, while the social worker is cleaning up my drool she ask me if I remember what day it is and I can't remember. I'm going to feel like such a jack ass.



Oh wait, what am I talking about, I'll be dead long before I go into a retirement home. Ha! Besides, there's not going to be any social security to cover the cost of me living. Everyone knows that Obama's death panels will kill me off. Anyhow, where was I, I forgot. Oh yeah, 9/11. Now I remember what happed on that date-

September 11, 1973 - A CIA backed coup in Chile headed by General Augusto Pinochet topples the democratically elected President Salvador Allende. Pinochet remains in power for almost 17 years. Oh wait.. not that 9/11? Hmm, let me think. Oh yeah. 9/11... It's the day Sorority Row gets released. This is going tobe worst 9/11 EVER!

Can't forget 9/11/85: Pete Rose breaks Ty Cobb's base hit record.



How dare I not take this as serious as Gleen Beck or Bill O'Reily suggest you take it. This literally is the greatest, most traumatizing tragedy face by people ever in history. Especially those people in the states hundreds or thousands of miles away from ground zero.

The holocaust, Darfur, Rewanda, Nanking, Trail of tears? All these and more are as insignificant as a peanut compared to how America lost its innocence on 9/11. Republic of Cong? Apartheid? What about those? NOTHING! Not a god damn thing next to NINE ELEVEN!



Shock and Awe: 6,000 casualties.
9/11: 3,000 casualties.
Winner: 9/11

I'm never forgetting so hard that every day is 9/11. Sign me up for the armed services, yo. Cause I wanna say "Let's roll" and be a true American. You didn't join the armed services the moment the towers fell? What the fuck kind of pussy are you? Don't worry, it's all good, homie. We can chill and roast 9/11 marshmallows some time.



I'm going to recognize 9/11 by leaving the TV on, so I can soak in all the various non-stop montages of footage of the towers falling and people crying and where-are-they-now interviews where MSNBC asks people whose family/friends died to try their very hardest to remember how they were feeling on the day because that kind of devotion to remembering that a terrorist attack happened is exactly why terrorist attack things in the first place.



I don't know about you, but it's barely 9am and I'm already tired of the news asking us the same question year after year. "WHAT HAVE WE LEARNED ON THIS HISTORIC DAY, ONLY 8 YEARS AFTER TERRORISTS FLEW PLANES INTO THE WORLD TRADE CENTER, IN THIS POST 9/11 WORLD!!"

Seriously, the question is old and boring. What did I learn? America is a pretty fucked up country and we'll gladly piss on another nation with the defense that "The End Justifies The Means". And I guarantee you that by mid-day, conservatives will be up in arms that Obama isn't being reverent enough. Even if he spends the entirety of the 24 hours in silent prayer contemplating the lives lost, they'll claim that since he was praying to Allah it didn't count.



Is it not weird that people remember the exact date of the WTC attacks but not any other historical event? It's only been 8 years, but can we just get this to be a national holiday already? Yeah, it's a little bit too close to Labor day, but this way we could just have back to back three day weekends. I mean, it's only fitting to have the end of summer be at the same time that we had the end of our freedom.

Oh no! That is horribly insensitive of me, isn't it? What about the families of the people who died, huh? HUH!? I must say that I feel terribly sorry for anyone who lost anyone they cared about on 9/11. I wont lie about that. It was really a tragic day in the history of our nation. There's no mistaking that. I'll be honest with you, I mock the way we handle 9/11 as a reaction to how the far right used the tragedy of the day to push their agenda.



If you're disgusted by the pictures I post in this blog and aren't disgusted by the way that the Bush administration used the "loss of our Innocence" as a nation to send us to war with a country that didn't have anything to do with the terror attack, then well, I can't help you. If you can say you're ok with the rights an excess of power that we gave up, all in the name of safety, but are angered by the use of a silly photoshop image here? Well then what the hell is wrong with you?

Are we better off today than we were before 9/11? That's the question asked by the media all the time. What is life like in this Post-9/11 world? Well, we're losing soldiers in a war that was not needed. So far here's the count.

9/11 casualties: 2,974
Iraq War causalities: 1,339,711

Seems like a lot of energy and life wasted on a place that didn't send men to our country, get them enrolled in our flght schools and then carried out acts of terrorism... and did it successfully. Wouldn't the best way to deal with the act of terrorism to not let tme be successful be not letting their acts be disruptive to your daily life?



Not letting their actions change the laws allowing less freedom and more government control/hand in your business. Not tarnishing your ability to get on a plane. Hell, I was put on a terrorist watch list simply because my name is Javier. Way to not look at race, creed or sex in your equality cause. Yup. Had to go through the extra long security because my name sounded non-white.

All in the name of keeping us safe did we sacrifice just about everything that we were built on as a nation. And what was the first thing that our glorious leader at the time said that we should do after the attacks? Go shopping. Yes, because I want to go get a new Ikea sofa at a time like this. How about some duct tape.. You know, that magical security device that will keep me safe from a terror attack of the gas type. Might as well get under a desk during a nuclear war.



How about all the songs we couldn't hear after 9/11? It seems that the first American right that we saw go was the ability to hear music on the radio. Did you forget about that? Awwww, awwwkward. Here's a list of all the songs that were deemed inappropriate for air play on 9/12 and for a while after. HUGE ASS LIST CLICK HERE!

Again, the list is huge and just goes to show you how much of a pussy nation we are if some of these songs offend our sensibilities enough that we had to have clear channel ban them from being played.

Van Halen - Jump
Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge over troubled water
Santana - Evil Ways
R.E.M. - It's the end of the world as we know it
RHCP - Aeroplane, Under the bridge
Queen- Another one bites the dust
Queen- killer queen
ALL RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE SONGS. Pink Floyd - Mother. NIN - Head like a hole. Nena - 99 Luftballons.
Frank Sinatra - New York, New York

What.The.Fuck. How can you not allow New York, New York to be played? I know we were just attacked at the time, but to deny New Yorkers the ability to hear Frank Sinatra should be a war crime in itself. But the one that sticks out the most. The one that I can tell that the terrorist really won is that Clear Channel had this song remove from air play during those tough times

Louis Armstrong "What a Wonderful World"

You have got to kidding me about that. If there was a song that ever should be played during the tough times when people are still looking for missing loved ones, when our nation is looking around to see who exactly attacked us and find answers, it's that one.



I don't hate America. I didn't approve of the attacks. What I do hate is the way we handled this whole situation. The way that we just otherwise jumped to the conclusion that everything we are doing is actually the correct course of action. This stubborn idea just causes me to be confused on if there's any sort of logic or reason going on behind our actions.

Look at the news piece of this very morning
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Coast Guard tried Friday to prevent a boat from entering a security zone on the Potomac River not far from the Pentagon, where President Obama was at an event commemorating the September 11 attacks.

There were reports on police scanners that the Coast Guard fired 10 rounds of ammunition, but those reports could not immediately be confirmed. It was not immediately clear from the reports whether they referred to warning shots.
It ended up being some sort of training exercise. Now tell me this, who the hell would schedule a training exercise with live fire on the morning of 9/11 near the area of a place that was attacked and would have a lot of media coverage? I know this whole blog post has been about not stopping the world because of 9/11, but still, you don't need to recreate the entire scenario picture for picture in order to get an idea on how to combat it.



Remember how much shit was caused when they flew that Obama plane pretty close to the skyline of New York for pictures? Ha. That caused a lot of uproar. Not the same uproar that the Moonanites caused Boston, but still, similar to that style of chaos.

If one did want to look at the glass half full, they could easily look at the fact that today is the best day of the year to go into a tall building or fly on an airplane. For the most part, any building is going to be pretty empty. They feel like lightning strikes in the same place twice for odd reasons. And let me tell you, airplane tickets are rock bottom cheap cheap cheap! So there's those silver linings to all this mass hysteria behind this day.



When it all comes down to it, that's the only reason why I try to find humor in this. Because if I didn't laugh, I don't think I could face how far we have fallen as a nation and as human beings. How much of a drastic turn we took in how we act towards others and our place in the world. Literally, our place as a super power really did change and I believe that we abused the hell out of that power crying fowl over being attacked and we spat venom at just about any and everyone that was in our way.

The worse part is I can't keep straight the fucking justification for going to war after 9/11. At first it was because we were attacked and assumed it was Saddam. I can still remember Rush Limbaugh jumping on the radio on 9/11 blaming Saddam Hussein. The whole reason why the Americans still buy into that bullshit about Iraq having anything to do with it, is because of the spin factor that was presented. The tons and tons of misinformation.



Its a good thing twitter didn't exist in 2001. I wouldn't want to see the updates involved with that. I would assume it would otherwise destroy the internet altogether. I'm also sure it would still not be making any money even if it was created eight years ago. I suppose the final point I will try to make will be made by someone else. Someone with more gravitas..

David Cross said the following:
I don't think Osama bin Laden sent those planes to attack us because he hated our freedom. I think he did it because of our support for Israel, our ties with the Saudi family and our military bases in Saudi Arabia. You know why I think that? Because that's what he fucking said! Are we a nation of 6-year-olds? Answer: yes.
God damn, that Analrapist made a lot of sense. I suppose I can't even say "Happy 9/11 day" because we all know that we must all act brooding and sad on this day of eternal sadness. So.. have a day to remember the attacks that put us here in this position eight years later. But don't linger on it too long as that's the point of terrorism, to disrupt your daily life.

No comments: