Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I Quidditch!

I Quidditch!

So as much as I love me some Harry Potter, this little fun fact came across my attention recently that muggle quidditcht teams are setting up all over the U.S. and U.K.
The International Quidditch Association (IQA) is the governing body for the sport of muggle quidditch. It was founded as the Intercollegiate Quidditch Association in 2007 following the very first intercollegiate quidditch match. In 2010 the IQA took its current name. It now comprises over 1000 teams and prospective teams from 13+ nations, but primarily the United States and Canada
  • 100 college and high school teams from 22 states and four nations.
  • Over 2,000 uniformed, caped, broom-riding athletes.
  • Over a dozen live rock bands, Wizard Wrock, Circus sideshows, live owl demonstrations, costumes and more.
  • Live commentary on every field from professional improv comedians from the PIT club in NYC.
  • Food and libations such as butterbeer, turkey legs, Bertie Botts beans, BBQ, chili, hot chocolate, and real beer.
  • Wands, brooms, robes, scarves, and other wizardly gear for sale.
  • Championships in Icahn Stadium, a world class venue that seats 5,000.


Welp, were the fuck do I sign up?

Really now. I will be the first to admit it, the game in the books seemed like a big pointless battle. It all depended on Harry anyway as the seeker trying to grab the golden snitch. And what was up with that J.K.? You trying to say snitches get stitches?!

The game relied way too much on Harry getting that snitch and the points that the rest of the team acquired through the game really didn't seem like they amounted for much compared to what happened when the snitch was caught.

Also, what the fuck am I suppose to do, run around a field?! The appeal of Quidditch was that you got to fly on a broom stick and throw balls into holes. Me running around - do these people need to be reminded that we read Harry Potter? Let's let the physical activities be done by someone who didn't spend their time in the library during recess reading books about wizards.

But hey, I guess this is better than all those dodge ball leagues that popped up recently. What the hell is up with those? Again, it's like some sadistic kick by jocks to continue the cycle of picking on the nerdy folks. It's bad enough that dodge ball was a hurt filled activity back then, but I thought leaving elementary school would have been the end of it.

I suppose this isn't the worse thing to happen. At least it helps other Harry Potter things come to life. I can't wait to try me some Butter beer the next time I go to Universal Studios Florida... or when Hollywood's location gets their own little Potter-land.

No comments: