Sunday, October 16, 2011

Uniforms

Uniforms

With school already back in full session and the kids already in the groove of things, it's easy to look past the easy questions, but I guess I just had to wonder about one thing that I never got to ask about - Should kids just wear a uniform to school?

Growing up in an all catholic high school upbringing you would think that I would say hell to the no. I must have hated wearing the same thing over and over again day in and day out, right? Welp, you would be wrong.

I think people probably should wear uniforms to school as it helps eliminate the visibility of class differences to a degree and also curtails the development of gross bourgeois individualism. Besides, why shouldn't kids learn about uniforms at a young age? It helps prepare them for life when they have to wear their work uniform day in and day out.

In fact, the only thing I can say against uniforms is that they're sold by monopoly companies and individual thought and self expression aren't necessarily bourgeois. Even though you can show class warfare through the use of someone wearing some expensive clothing they got from the mall opposed to someone else buying shit from Ross.

But hey, maybe the liberal in me prefers disguising class differences than actually bringing them to consciousness. Besides, children should probably go to religious schools because it makes them better people... Well, not catholic schools. Those suck, but maybe one of those new age Californication WASP type of schools. My catholic school sucked entirely but the uniform was the least of my concern.

I've had a uniform all my life. In school it was khakis and a beige shirt. Out of school it has been Jeans and a witty/comical shirt. All of which had converse involved. So clearly I'm okay with the same ol' same ol' day in and day out.

Maybe we should just give everyone a burlap sack and the problem will be solved. Though then the nations problem of burlap sack shortage will hit an all time high. Though I'm sure it won't be a problem since there will likely be a surplus of discards from the potato mines. So there, problem solved on the supply and thus nobody will ever want for a uniform again.

If anything, a uniform would be a great thing for schools. Considering that public schools these days aren't doing much more than preparing you for gen pop in minimum security prison

No comments: