Monday, September 10, 2012

And Here I Thought I Couldn't Lose More Respect For the Banks

And Here I Thought I Couldn't Lose More Respect For the Banks

I mean, I thought that it was as low as it could possibly ever be. I didn't expect them to go for a record and actually show me how low they could go...But here we are with Wells Fargo forecloses on the wrong home.
The owners of a modest home near Twentynine Palms lost their cherished possessions after a bank mistakenly foreclosed their residence. A crew broke into Alvin and Pat Tjosaas’ desert home and took everything after being directed by Wells Fargo to secure the structure.

The couple, however, didn’t have a mortgage on the home.

Alvin said the deputy sheriff said, “Good news, we know who took (your possessions)…Wells Fargo. Bad news, your stuff is all gone.”

All the married couple has now are three generations of memories. Alvin, a retired mason, built the home with his father when he was a teenager.

A spokesman for Wells Fargo released a statement apologizing to the couple.

“We are deeply sorry for the very personal losses the Tjosaas family suffered as a result of their home being mistakenly secured,” said Alfredo Padilla. “We are moving quickly to reach out to the family to resolve this unfortunate situation in an attempt to right this wrong.”

Alvin and Pat remain distraught.

“When you put your heart into something…it makes me real sad. I’m just glad I have my sweetheart. We’ve been together a long time,” said Alvin.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that "reach out" means "sue them for slander".

I mean, it's all just a mistake, they'll make it right, won't they? Missing a mortgage payment, on the other hand... that's unforgivable. This all just makes me wonder why people fear nebulous hordes of poor people stealing their things when there are "law enforcement" and banks who do it constantly with no one being the wiser.

Just think about it. They meant to ruin some other folks' lives, and are only apologizing because they didn't know how to read the numbers on a mailbox. If this went according to plan, there wouldn't be a single news media outlet to tell and you would still have the same level of family in a tragic stunned mess that they lost everything.

Sure is a nice house you got there, be a real shame if something happened to it.

*bust the wrong kneecap*

If nothing else, let this be a reminder to everyone that you should just burn down your house if they foreclose on it. Well, that may be some bad advice. Given that arson is punished as a felony. So perhaps I should recommend and participate in asset stripping.

It's the neo-liberal way, after all. You strip it out and sell it for pennies on the dollar. Cabinets, doors, lighting fixtures, carpets, appliances, wiring, plumbing, counter tops, windows, water heaters, AC, furnace, ductwork - you name it, it has to go. Everything must go! I'll bring the beer and pizza, you bring the dollies and the sledgehammers! A couple of gallon cans of paint thinner will take care of any lawn - though I hesitate to recommend that on an environmental level, but still, it's either you take it or the bank owns it... and fuck them.

No comments: