Friday, September 14, 2012

Gravity Falls

Gravity Falls

What happens when you get a show like Twin Peaks, Eerie Indiana, X-files and Invader Zim and you throw it onto the Disney Channel? You'll get a show like Gravity Falls. A new Disney cartoon that is probably unlike anything you'll expect Disney to crank out... Most of all, it's really really good. While I am a 32 year old male adult who still watches children cartoons, I still maintain some ability to say that I'm pretty picky at what I watch -- and this, is something that is well worth watching.

The show follows two siblings. Dipper and Mabel, as they spend their summer with their grand uncle Grunkle in his Mystery Shack in Gravity Falls, Oregon. Think of that touristy mystery spot that is hoping to make your money disappear. Only, the town of Gravity Falls has a lot of weird shit going on.

If nothing else will get you to watch the show, the theme music will... Here's a version with the rough cut animation set to it.



Now wasn't that a catchy tune?

The really strange part of all of this is that there's really a Gravity Falls type of place up in the Pacific Northwest. Just check it out.



I mean, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, you know. Considering how they like to keep Oregon weird and all that jazz. But weird enough that they'll embrace some shows that only grown ups would appreciate?

Take a look at the two following images. The first taken from Twin Peaks...


The second from Gravity Falls.



Isn't that pretty gosh darn neat? You kids don't know how good you have it. Cartoons now are so much better than they were when I was a kid. For all the nostalgia that most people carry for the shit that was on in the 80's, the majority of all that was pure crap. None of it was anything special - Maybe it's cause I didn't have basic cable.

Maybe it's also a combination of people getting old and jaded and nostalgia now being a manufactured package product in itself that gives all these folks who wont shut up about how BACK IN MY DAY, WHEN THE WORLD WAS GOOD AND ALL THAT... I'm here to tell you NO, Cartoons were pure shit back then.

I was too poor to afford seeing Nickelodeon and all that shit. I had to go to a cousins house and even then I was just so jealous of it. I wonder how many people who remember that time actually watched any of that shit. Growing up I was insanely jealous of kids who had cable. Where I only had public television and all that. Then again, after seeing what they grew up on, I think I was far better off, honestly.

In any case, Watch Gravity Falls tonight.

No comments: