Thursday, January 1, 2009

Fixing The New Year

Fixing The New Year

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'm feeling a little short changed every year when it comes time for New Years Eve and someone should take a stand on this very serious issue.

We're all getting cheated out on holidays and naming it a Holiday Season doesn't make it any less of a scam. It's like being born near a day you get gifts anyway, you're going to be short changed the goodies by getting it all lumped in together. My birthday is around Easter. Every couple of years it lands directly on it. That's the real kicker. Try gathering friends when everyone is spending time with their families on the festive day.



I don't know how many years I got a rabbit or some egg related item. Don't even get me started on the lighter shaded colors. I was born around Easter so clearly baby blue must be my favorite color. If I see one more god damn egg, -one more, I'm not even joking, there will be violence.. Um..yeah moving on now.

So where was I? We're jamming the holidays into a traffic jam. I haven't even recovered from Christmas and we're already tossing in another bank holiday? I don't mind the lack of traffic for the past few days. But I have to wonder if we're not blowing all our money at one candy store, if you get my meaning. We're cashing in all our chips in a short amount of time and I think that's rather odd.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe it's just that it's the end of the calendar year and we're just getting in all those "sick days" before we lose them. In which case I would suggest we move either New Years or Christmas to an earlier date. It doesn't make sense for Christmas to move. Imagine Christmas in July, Not very likely... not unless you visited Santa's Village in Big Bear. But it'll also be taking the Christ out of Christmas as well as ruining that whole winter solstice celebration it's linked up with. With Thanksgiving always changing around on us, we need to keep Christmas where it's at to have enough buffer space between the two.


Doin' it, doin' it, and doin' it well.

For a minute there I thought that Dubai was reading my mind when they canceled New Years. But it turned out that they just felt that they shouldn't be celebrating the new year when their neighbors were on the brink of destroying each other. Meanwhile others around the world are showing their solidarity with the Palestinian people by getting wasted on booze. HAPPY NEW YEARS!! WOOOOOOOOO!

I have a friend who swears by anything Chinese. She was blown away when she went to China and sings nothing but praise for the land of the rising sun. I didn't get the big deal about it till I realized they're smart enough to not have New Years be so close to Christmas. They celebrate New Years late January/Early February. Sure they apply some silly animal to the year (This year it's an Ox) but what the lack in common sense for picking animals they make up in with spreading the time off over the course of the year. Valentines Day being two weeks or so after that just shows that they covering their bases. No wonder they're hard workers. They're properly rested. That and their tiny fingers.. oh so very tiny fingers.

I just want to know where I lobby to get this heard. January may have MLK day but with February containing black history month, it's like a teaser of things to come. Besides, you really can't do anything for MLK day least you feel like you're being racist. It's not like you can have MLK day sales and remain in good taste... oh wait


February has Valentines Day and that's far from a day of rest for guys. Do you know how much work we have to put into that to keep any girl stupid enough to be with you happy? Forget about it! If years past have taught me anything it's that I need a day off from that in itself!

So come on national holiday organizers, let's be smart with how we use our days off in this new year

No comments: