Friday, April 5, 2019

A SERIOUS CONVERSATION ABOUT A SERIOUS MAN

A SERIOUS CONVERSATION ABOUT A SERIOUS MAN 

Since we're nearing Passover and my deli intake is through the roof, I tell ya, I should really slow down. But what do I know. I'll just sit here, go ahead and ignore more. What's one old culturally Jewish person's opinion after all?

Anyhow, back to passover. Well, not just passover, I wanted to have a serious conversation about A Serious Man. a Coen Brother's film that was so overlooked and is frankly, the most spot on Jewish quintessential "modern", be it mid-century modern story about the religion. Here's the trailer



Now, that was in true fashion very Coen Brothers, but this, Lebowski aside, is probably my favorite Coen Brothers film ever. It spoke to me in a way I can't even begin to describe. I mean, I guess the all in Yiddish cold opening isn't as inviting to the average Lebowski quoter, but let's just get it out of the way, it sets the tone of the film so well. The message that sometimes bad things just keep happening to you and well, you must receive it all in simplicity. Or shit, maybe we're just cursed. Or maybe it is what it is.

It doesn't hold your hand and it's very much a great film world all its own. I mean, I probably can go on for hours, but this video sums it all up on why I love the film, the message and the way it treats you as if you aren't some stupid person.





No comments: