Tuesday, March 5, 2019

D-DAY

D-DAY

I'm not talking about the war act D-Day, I'm talking about something far less important, but then again far more impactful to the daily lives we live.  D-Day, the day the Disney and Fox deal closes. It's looking like the first week of March will be the end of it all.

Side note, I worked for Fox for more than 15 years. It is basically where I did the majority of my film and television work. It is a place I have a fondness in my heart regardless of what you may think of the Fox News Network, 20th Century television was a very liberal. And from the looks of this deal, at least 5,000 to 10,000 jobs will be lost the moment the deal goes through, which looks to be on the 8th.

Add to that, the investors meeting is on the 8th, so man, this whole blood bath is just geared up for some massively bad times down the road for a lot of folks. All the while the fans are clammering because you can finally have Wolverine and the Avengers in the same movie as if that is worth more than the jobs and livelihood of 10k folks. 

It also means that Hulu will be majority owned by Disney since Fox had a 30% share. So, the streaming scene is going to be completely different in a year's time. I don't know what Disney+ will be like, I know I'll get it because I'm a Disney whore, but this is some major bad stuff for the landscape of digital streaming media in terms of choices. Netflix better pucker up because this can be a really tough time for them. You're thinking that their original content will be strong, but it's all the known tv and movies that gets them from day to day. And with two media networks not going to work with them because of direct competition, as well as CBS doing its own streaming service knocking that content out of the running, you can see that it's not only those 10k jobs will suffer.

But again, the fans are happy that marvel will have all its cheaply licensed out properties back under one roof... which means very little. Especially since stuff on Netflix like Daredevil and Jessica Jones, which were loved, just got killed over this battle between Netflix and Disney.

How this didn't end up as an anti-trust to anti-family grounds sort of situation, I don't know, because everything about this just screams monopoly. But hey, the bigger fish will always eat the smaller ones, right? I guess that's the take away from all of this.


No comments: