Tuesday, March 12, 2019

THE ART OF THE DAD JOKE

THE ART OF THE DAD JOKE

On my commute today I heard Larry Mantle act completely dumbfounded by the whole "Dad Joke" concept in that he felt it was a new labeling on an old thing. While it may be called a dad joke now, I feel like Dad Joke, as a term and as a concept existed for a long time now. We all grew up with your father saying some sort of lame attempt to break the ice in the form of a shitty joke. It was a way for someone who didn't spend most of the time in your space like the nuclear family model of your mom being around you all the time growing up attempting to inject themselves into your lives

In the patriarchy, the bread winning father would be off to work most of the day and would never really interact. After a long day of bread making hard work, they would come home and to add some levity to the situation, the dad joke existed. It's always been a dad joke. It'll always will be a dad joke.

Larry Mantel, who I constantly feel is completely out of his element in any new subject that seems to come up, just didn't understand the concept of bad jokes and the enjoyment one can take from making other people suffer. For every groan and every ugh spouted by someone who heard a really shitty pun filled joke, myself, for example, take so much enjoyment that one can come up with someone's displeasure in actually hearing it. It's like seeing someone get kicked in the groan. Sure, it's a terrible situation if you're getting hit, but if you see the person's reaction... yup. that's joy.

That's why I say stupid pun jokes. That's why I embrace the fact that I have told so many bad dad jokes - as if it's a bad thing. Getting a reaction is getting a reaction. No matter what the reaction is.

Hmmm, maybe I'll do more science into this matter and get back to you on the complete break down of dad jokes. Be happy I spared you of any of them.

No comments: