Monday, January 14, 2019

WHAT IS COMEDY

WHAT IS COMEDY

For as long as man has existed, something has tickled their funny bone. Added levity to the situation, been the source of a little steam blowing off and chuckles to change the mood. So I ask you,was IS comedy? Is it farting in a crowd? Is it the fact that we have a tv show president who doesn't know shit all of how to run the country? Is it this clearly odd comedy blog that probably doesn't make you laugh very often.

I'm writing a book, I know, the horror, trying to determine what exactly is comedy and where are we going with these funny ha ha moments. So perhaps let's just take a moment to look at what exactly is comedy.  Because I often find that some jokes are elevated to the point where most people don't even know that they're funny, see any of my blog post if you wish to get a first hand example of that.

I once heard that comedy is to crush your enemies and see them driven before you. But I'm not so sure about that. I think that there's a better chance that comedy is just getting mad at things online and ranting about them to whomever is closes to you. Then I figured something else. Comedy should be making people laugh... on purpose. Because comedy is all of the things you can find funny, but none of that which makes you uncomfortable.

Sort of like how comedy is like jumping out of an airplane only to find that your friends packed an anvil in your parachute pack instead of a parachute. Man, those guys are such kidders. They must have learned this from all those cartoons. Those stinkers. But then again, the math simply breaks down a bit to something similar to this, or at least that's what I thought at first;

comedy = (tragedy + time) / (boners2 * farts)

Because to me, a very deep dived explorer of comedy, this looks like we cracked the code to it all. But no, you see, you're not factoring in the other stuff. I mean, sure, at least one boner and fart is necessary to have a comedy, and yet increasing the number of boners or farts diminishes the returns of said funnies.  Yeah, this was an interesting hypothesis at first but it just didn't seem to cover all the possibilities.

I did discover that comedy never follows anything that has this in the subject header though -  FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:RE:FW:RE:FW:RE:FW:RE:FW:RE:FW:RE:
Not even once is that an acceptable answer.

Then I looked back to my studies as a teen. There was several episodes of the popular television show Star Trek - The Next Generation that go into this. There is a character named Data in the show that is an artificial life form - a robot, you see, He is fully functional but does not have any emotions. He questions comedy and does not understand what makes something funny. I can relate, my friend. He attempts to define it so he too can be funny, or perhaps just laugh at stuff that should register as comical, but sadly, he is a robot.

I don't honestly think that they ever came to a conclusion on this matter with him. So with no satisfactory answer as to what is comedy, I'm only left to draw the conclusion that comedy is what makes us human. And if you can't appreciate me mocking you for the sake of a laugh, then perhaps you just aren't human. Yeah, I think that's the case.

No comments: