Saturday, January 12, 2019

YOU GIVE HEART ATTACK

YOU GIVE HEART ATTACK

So I just wanted to sort of write this story down in the hopes that I never forget it. Mainly because it's one of the only times my father was so anxious to talk to me. He wasn't a very talkative man. Mainly because he worried if he was talking off the cuff that he'd drop some hidden knowledge that he didn't want to be known. You know, like "you have a half brother" or "I've had two other lives this whole time!"shit like that.

Anyhow, he wasn't the most patient of men. I think I get my very much tough control of patience from him. I mean, I can bide my time, but yeah, there's some times when I just have no time for people's nonsense

For my father, he would use the horn very liberally when driving. I think everyone pissed him off driving. Something I find myself falling in to every now and then before I check myself and then become a not so crazy driver.

My father also loved trucks. He would always drive a truck. For the longest time it was a Toyota pick up truck. He would haul around building equipment like it was breathing. He was, after all, working to work on the apartment building that I eventually had to take the mantle of and do the leg work. But the bones of this place, it's all him.

That Toyota pick up had to have seen some shit. At one point when I was in the truck with him driving to who the fuck knows where, the keys just fell out of the ignition. I looked at him and he looked at me like if he was concerned some dirty secret was just revealed. I was confused why the car was still running and everything was just sort of "normal" about this situation of car keys falling out of the key lock while driving at high speeds on the freeway.

This was all sorts of normal and that was strange to me,.

But it was just that sort of car. Another story he told me highlighted the road rage that my father held inside of him. He was stopped behind another car at a light with some light rain going on in this fair city. Anyhow, as he told it, the light has changed but this elderly driver in front of him didn't notice. He must have been the basis to some Beatles lyrics. So the first and only thing my father does is to start honking his horn. Oddly enough, no reaction. The car still there with the light changed. Honk some more. Nada.  Then another few honks for good measure and suddenly this elderly driver in front of him just sort of burns rubber and flies through the intersection and goes straight crashing his car into a brick wall.

My father, at this point probably filled with guilt drives over to him and ask if he was okay. The guy responds "YOUR FAULT, YOU GIVE HEART ATTACK!" Which I guess the guy was nodding off while driving and then my dad's honks just spooked the shit out of him to burn ass straight to where he was now. Of course there wasn't any way to show that it was actually my dad's fault, but he sure loved telling that story, oh, and of course he did it in a very racist Asian stereotypical voice

because, you know, that's what you do when you cause a dude to drive into a brick wall because you're a passive aggressive asshole driver.

No comments: