Tuesday, February 5, 2019

ANTI-VALENTINES DAY

ANTI-VALENTINE'S DAY

I mean, as much as I like to pout and rant that the day is a corporate excuse to make you spend your money and you should probably show your loved ones that affection all throughout the year, I really was never anti-valentines day. Or at the very least the concept of it. I mean, let's just get it out there, I am a very big romantic at heart. I have all the gestures and will be thoughtful and what not. So an excuse to go a little extra is always nice, but at the same time I fight my inner struggle of feeling like so many do it for the wrong reason or that they were just taken hostage by a hallmark created holiday

I do hate the price hiking that happens on this day. Shit that is normally very reasonable becomes stupid expensive. So maybe I'm just opposed to the consumerism attack on the fact that you want to show your loved ones that you care on this particular day.

Saying that, I do take a little enjoyment in being anti something. It's that rebel spirit in me. Oh, the school of fish is swimming this way? Fuck that, I'm going the other way. Good luck sheeple! sort of mentality. But still, that is the way I think sometimes. I don't know why. It's my wiring. I am sometimes all for something and then just the slightest hint that it's mainstream's idea of the norm and I'm all up against it.

Back to V-day. I can't even say I had terrible experiences or a specific reason why I would be jaded. I have had pretty good luck in being in a relationship or having some romantic interest for the majority of my life during the V-day season. I guess maybe that's where it comes in. Having to be told that I had to do something and making it feel like it wasn't my specific choice. I am, by my very nature, a very thoughtful and giving person. So it's not even the notion that I have to make the gesture, because believe me, gestures are my middle fucking name.

Like, I would have done pre or post sort of things because of the notion that it just HAD to be on that one day pissed me off. It made it feel less special of a gesture because everyone is essentially doing it on that day. What is the special aspect of going out to dinner if you are around 90 other couples who are doing that same exact thing?

I guess it's also a factor of what the partner actually wants and if it's important, but should it really be? Is that a reflection of one's inability to maintain that level of communication that you are meeting the normal daily amount of affection that the other desires that you somehow have to do something on a hallmark holiday for a decapitated saint? Man, this shit is getting all existential all up in this bitch. 

Fine, I'll just go pick up the goddamn flowers on the way back from work!

No comments: