Thursday, February 7, 2019

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING?

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING?

If I'm speaking frankly, I have to admit that I always hated that question. It's one that I feel is boarder line to personal and even crosses the line to be a bit rude. While innocent in nature, and mainly asked to get a sense of the type of person you are, what it touches on the way to that center is basically defining you based on what social economic position you are in.

Oh, you're a doctor? How nice. Oh, you fix cable? Well then. I guess if you're happy.  Ultimately, the better question isn't to inquire what one person does for a living, but instead ask if they are happy in what they are doing and find happiness in that. Which really should be the only factor that anyone should give a fuck about anyway.

Are you happy doing what you are doing.

Or maybe I'm just a little insecure in that question because for the longest time I have had the most difficult time answering that question. When I worked in the tv industry, I had to explain my job to a lot of folks who weren't familiar with what the production side of things were like. Unless you're a director, actor or known name on a film or show, then who the fuck gave a shit about you, right? I did that for 15 years. Mind you, I had typical 16-18 hour work days. So basically my career spanned what would almost be 30 year's worth of a normal 9-5 type of job. So when I tell people "I'm retired from that", there's a pretty valid reason. I basically had a life time's worth of a career. More so than the typical boomer who retired after working X amount of time in their field.

So what is it that I do now?   Survive.

I was wise in that I invested in a building to finish off and generate income for the rest of whatever life I have. Or, just take a lump sum and cash out. Both of which could probably float me by for the rest of my life in a comfortable living that I'm used to.  Add in that I do get some money from working all that time where I was on the back end. So basically, if I say I'm retired, it's sort of true.

As for the money pit that I call my building. I mean, I'm making it what it is and I'm proud of it. A side note, through out the years I have paid towards it in a big way and it is completely paid off. I only pay property taxes on it and that isn't a whole lot annually. So other than maintenance, which it does have a lot of, the place is pretty well established. I guess the answer to the question is that I'm a landlord - which also doesn't have all that positive of an image to it. Sort of like saying you're a lawyer, there's a bit of a stigma there even though lawyers are fucking important as hell and truth be told, I have a lot of respect for considering how many I know close as friends, as well as how hard it is to pass the examines. 

But if you boiled it down to those two things - former industry worker and landlord, it doesn't sound like it properly represents me. Shit, even if you take my other job working for a brewery, it doesn't even sound all that it has class or prestige. And that is a fun and carefree job that I have loved for the last few years in doing all sorts of aspects behind the scenes and has taken me traveling for beer festivals.

But again, none of those sound like socially high ranked jobs that someone simply asking you what you do for a living would be all that impressed with.

On top of that, I do the following - Pursue my passions.

Simple as that. I make a slew of cooking magic, I infuse and blend alcohol to make new flavors. I cook whole goddamn pigs, sometimes in places that are harsh like city parks and desert wastelands. I cater and have been on billboards for Farmer Johns. I create, I craft. I am me and I hate the idea of being defined by something that should only have one factor in it - do you like doing it. Oh, I guess also, does it allow you to live to do said things you like doing.

Most of all, I'm a fucking writer. A published one at that, so yeah. I feel like even telling people you're a writer just makes them look at you like you're some script slinging loser in Hollywood. I spend several hours a day writing. Not all of it gets thrown out some place. A lot of it is for me. To flex that muscle. To express myself. To just define myself through the means that I have some control over.

Because at the end of the day, most folks don't really have a say or control in the matter of finding a job that they love. More than often it's a job that will pay the bills and keep food on the table. It's a grind. It's what you can get when you need it and the whole aspect of it defining who you are to the eyes of others just makes me feel like we're missing the point of better understanding one another as people.

It's probably the worse question you can ask someone to better get to know who they are as a person. So yeah, instead when you're doing small talk, how about you lead with "Do you like what you do?" or "What is your concept of fun?"


No comments: