Saturday, March 28, 2009

Bursting the Beanie Baby Bubble

Bursting the Beanie Baby Bubble

In this tough economic time it's nice to look back on yesterday's craze. It seemed like only yesterday - going to frank and sons collectible show for some cheap comics, shooting the shit with the vendors there, then suddenly these Beanie Babies come from fucking nowhere. Suddenly everyone had to have some. People were talking about how stocking up on Beanie Babies would make them rich later. How it'll be their ticket to that retirement home in Florida.

Here we are, now. Economy is struggling. Things aren't so bright in the distant, or even farther, future. But hey, maybe someone could feed the Beanie Babies back into the economy or something. Give people jobs making more Beanie Babies and hyping the shit out of them.

How did that ever happen? Full grown adults freaking out about plush dolls. Now there is no treasure. There is only plush. I'm sure it was only elderly shut-ins claiming that they were worth anything. Seriously, why would anyone pay more than a couple of bucks for a cute little seal plush doll?


Hmmm, the other items for sale are rather interesting

This ebay auction sums up the whole craze and stupidity behind it. The picture, the price, the description, it's so mind blowingly stupid. I can't believe that there was ever any time that anyone thought that this shit was anything more than a flash in the pan.

I'm sure these are the same people trying to unload their Pokemon cards. OMG, DOU HAVE A CHARIZARD??! I'm curious to see if anyone is trying to sell their POGs at this outragious price? When it comes to investments parents should not encourage their children to get into these fads other than to enjoy the game for what it is.

That's the real problem with our country right now. It's the reason why we're in the situation we're in. People grow up thinking that you can get rich quick on these things and not properly invest your money in things that would be more secure as well as yield a better return.



One worth millions, the other is the Enron of the Beanie world

I never heard anyone say that their dual land portfolio has matured quite well over the years especially my diversification into foreign mana. For those of you who aren't nerds that's Magic:The Gathering talk and no, I won't admit to playing that game... not while I have breath in my lungs.

I guess everyone knows that the Beanie Bubble collapsed because of the subprime Fuzzy Hogs. But don't worry Comic fans, one day I will sell my comic books and baseball cards for MILLIONS!!!! My many copies of the death of Superman will go for zillions!

Things like Beanie Babies are the reason everyone thinks its so easy to get rich. I mean hell, it looks so simple: have a moderately novel idea (stuffed animals, only filled with Styrofoam beads instead of stuffing), promote the hell out of it, and once it hits critical mass, it becomes a self-sustaining monstrosity of greed and wealth-generation. I suppose there must be more to it, but I'm not seeing what it is.


One worth a lot, the other not worth reading

I'm a comic fan but this sort of mentality is the reason why I hate being one. There's two extremes when it comes to picturing a comic book nerd. Some people think that it's some kid thing to do and that it has to be a waste of money. These are the same people who buy a monthly magazine at the newsstand and don't see how it's the same thing

Then there's those who think that comics are some form of investment. They see that Action comics just sold for $317,200 and think that all comics will someday be worth millions. I have no words for people like you. I guess I could suggest you keep buying those variant and foil cover issues hoping that they'll be worth something.. Guess what, they aren't and I'm glad for it.

Back in the 40's to 60's kids loved their comic books. It's no secret. They bought them at the local market and more than likely the comic was destroyed or in terrible shape long before the kid bought an issue. Once they got them home they were read and read hard. Folded up and put into their back pockets and then carried around.


He didn't give a shit about near mint/mint condition

I shouldn't have to tell you that kids didn't treat their comics well. I think I treat my comics in the same fashion. They're something to read, if I could be frank, in the crapper or while waiting in line. If I grew up in New York I would say that I would read it on the Subway, but I'll come out and be honest here, I read comics in traffic. Yes, I'm sure many of my friends who have seen me drive while reading a comic can tell you I'm honest with that statement.

Because of this comics were destroyed long before they were ever kept safe for future investment. Kids didn't think they would be worth anything. They were that innocent back then. Then mothers would throw out boxes and boxes of comic books when the kid grew out of that phase. They weren't collected at all.

This is why comics from those days that are in great shape are worth anything. Because it's just that rare to find one that wasn't destroyed and is still in good shape. It's really laughable to think that any comic book released in the last ten years would be worth much more than a couple of bucks unless it's a very special situation. Much like beanie babies, they don't go up because of sentimental value.


Ah yes, the comic collector stereotype...

I can't wait to hear about those who have beanie babies that have skyrocketed in sentimental value, thus getting a second mortgage only to have the bank reposses their sense of sentimentality.

Beanie Babies, Dilbert, and Who Wants to be a Millionaire exemplified everything wrong with the late 90s. I can't wait until 10 years from now when people will be talking about how Yu Gi Oh was. The awesome days of Juicy Drop Pops and watching Mighty B.

And it will be that day, that nostalgia has officially died.

No comments: